The 9 Ways Your Network is Susceptible
How printing, scan-to-email, and faxing documents are
major security risks
Hackers have a new way into your organisation and the information you’ve worked so hard to secure is ripe for the taking. What many don’t realise is that your digital copiers & MFPs (Multi-Function Printers) could be increasing this risk. They have hard drives, operating systems, and the ability to communicate inside and outside your organization and as such these systems should be part of your network security PLAN. And because they are not often thought of by companies as a security risk, they can often be left out of that plan inadvertently.
Here are some of the ways your network is the most vulnerable:
- Anyone can pick up documents from printers and MFPs
- Anyone can see printouts containing private customer or employee information
- No user identification or authentication at network MFPs
- Network MFPs can send to untrustworthy destinations
- Anyone can pick up documents from faxes machines
- Anyone can fax documents to any destination without tracking
- Guests in your office can utilize network MFPs without restriction
- All activity on your network MFPs is not recorded or audited
- Documents scanned on MFPs are not encrypted
If you think your organisation may be guilty of even a couple of these vulnerabilities, then you need to take action NOW.